Changing your Lawn Mower’s Spark Plug
If you’re having trouble getting your lawn mower to start, a faulty spark plug may be the culprit! A dirty, old spark plug will cause your lawn mower to have trouble starting. Many times, simply replacing a spark plug is all you need to make sure your lawn mower starts on the first pull every time! Fortunately, replacing your mower’s spark plug is one of the easiest things you can do to make sure your lawn mower is running smoothly. Here is a step by step guide on how to change your lawn mower’s spark plug.
How to Tell if Your Spark Plug Needs Changed
If your lawn mower doesn’t start on the first couple of pulls, then it might be time for a new spark plug. Remove the spark plug and inspect the tip of it. If it’s dark or black in color or covered in debris, you probably need a new spark plug. Fortunately, spark plugs are incredibly inexpensive and take less than 5 minutes to replace!
You will Need:
- New Spark Plug
- Spark Plug Socket Wrench (Spark plug sockets contain a rubber insert that protects the ceramic spark plug.)
How to Change the Spark Plug
1. Remove the Spark plug wire, and then clean around the spark plug with a wire brush.
2. Using your Spark Plug Socket Wrench, remove the old spark plug.
3. Get a new spark plug. Once the old spark plug is out, you can take it into your local hardware store or lawn mower service professional to have it replaced. All spark plugs come with the model number printed right on them, so you can be sure you’re getting the right one.
4. Install the new Spark Plug. Insert the new spark plug into the spark plug hole. Begin by turning the spark plug by hand. Once the threads catch, use the spark plug socket wrench to tighten the spark plug into place. Be careful not to over-tighten the spark plug. Applying too much pressure can crack the ceramic body of the spark plug.
Mutton Power Equipment in Fort Wayne, Indiana has everything you need to keep your lawn mower running great! No matter which type of lawn mower you have –– Exmark, John Deere, Toro, Simplicity, Honda, etc, we have the parts you need to keep your mower running. Visit one of our two Fort Wayne locations or even visit us online! We ship Nationwide!